Denton County District CourtDENTON COUNTY STANDING ORDER 2017

The Denton County District Court judges have approved a new version of the Denton County Standing Order.  The formal title is actually ‘Denton County Standing Order Regarding Children, Property and Conduct of the Parties’.  The Order is usually referenced as the ‘Standing Order’ or ‘Standing Orders’.

New Denton County Standing Order

It is important to know about the new version because the Standing Orders are effective in every divorce case and suit affecting parent-child case filed in Denton County.  This version of the Standing Order will be effective for every case filed on or after January 20, 2017. And, this Order is binding on not only the parties of the case but other people who are working for them or with them regarding behavior and actions in a case if they have received actual notice of the orders.  It is 4 pages of things that are prohibited and those that are authorized during the lawsuit.

Children and Parties

The Denton County Standing Order has sections that outline specifically what the parties are not allowed to do regarding the children who are involved in the lawsuit.  For instance, any children can’t be moved out of Texas to establish their homes in a new state.  And, the parties of the lawsuit – either the people getting divorced or the parents of the child or children involved in any other suit are also prohibited from using vulgar, profane or obscene language to communicate with another party, threatening another party by phone, email or text message.  This isn’t the entire list of behaviors contained in the Standing Order, just an example.

Property, Funds and Authorizations

The remaining pages of the Standing Order include a list of very specific conduct that parties cannot do during a divorce case.  For example, parties are ordered to refrain from turning off services at the other party’s house including water, electricity, and cable to name a few services in the list.  And, one party can’t kick another party out of the marital residence if they are still living together in the same home.  And, the parties can’t spend cash or make withdrawals from financial institutions unless authorized.

The Standing Order does authorize people in a divorce to spend money and even take on debt for certain things including reasonable and necessary living expenses and attorney’s fees.

This Order is in effect in every divorce case and suit affecting parent-child relationship case.  If you are in the middle of a lawsuit, and haven’t read it – make sure you do, so you can follow it in your case.

If you have questions about your suit affecting parent-child relationship or divorce, please call O’Connell Law Firm, P.C. and make an appointment to visit with Jill O’Connell. 940-497-5454